Author Topic: Web interface on the WDTV Live?  (Read 5764 times)

November 14, 2009, 07:02:06 PM
Read 5764 times

getresults

I've just stumbled across the WDTV Live and it looks awesome so I'm considering buying one.

Can anyone tell me if it offers a web interface to other computers on the network?

i.e.: is it possible to control the WDTV Live via a browser, or access usb drives attached to it?

Thanks!

November 14, 2009, 08:58:44 PM
Reply #1

wiiBox

Hello getresults,

No on the web interface on stock firmware.  If you are linux savvy, you could try the modded firmwares for that.  But if you are not, I wouldn't jump into it.  It's not exactly plug and play.

But, your drive will be accessible on the network with stock firmware from a windows computer.

Hope that answers your question!

November 15, 2009, 09:47:07 AM
Reply #2

getresults

Hello getresults,

No on the web interface on stock firmware.  If you are linux savvy, you could try the modded firmwares for that.  But if you are not, I wouldn't jump into it.  It's not exactly plug and play.

I'm a linux nerd so I'll definitely be doing that :) 

But, your drive will be accessible on the network with stock firmware from a windows computer.

Cool! So it should show up in Linux as well as a Samba share...

Thanks!

November 15, 2009, 12:39:37 PM
Reply #3

wiiBox

Fantastic.  Do contribute to the documentation for us noobs.   ;)

December 08, 2009, 01:38:42 AM
Reply #4

Knekt

Wopuld be lovely!

If I could dream a bit further, I would love a web interface that allows access to online media content such as the Swedish http://svtplay.se I guess that would need a web interface with a flash plugin?!

I guess that I am hoping for something similar to the online features in Plex (http://www.plexapp.com), more than just a web browser.