Author Topic: Help info wanted on wdtv live related to youtube and music playlists  (Read 4834 times)

November 15, 2009, 10:54:12 AM
Read 4834 times

psburley

Hi I am thinking about a WDTV Live and have a couple of questions...I am sorry if they are answered in the forum elsewhere but a few quick searches didnt give answers.
1. how easy is it for wdtv live to access you tube and how easy is it to nagivgate youtube...are you able to set up play lsist on your pc and get wdtv to sinc with them??

2. can you easily create playlists of several music tracks from different albums and play on wdtv

3. I was considering an apple tv but came across the wdtv, how does it compare to apple tv?? my main use is music playlists, my photos and videos and accessing youtube videos from my favourite lists.

4, Some write ups say wdtv live takes ages to be ready from switch on?

5. I dont have an ethernet connection available close by...is wireless an option and reliable?

Is apple tv a better bet?

November 15, 2009, 12:35:58 PM
Reply #1

wiiBox

Hi psburley,

I'll try to answer your questions.  Bare in mind, this is all based off official launch firmware v1.01.00.

1. how easy is it for wdtv live to access you tube and how easy is it to nagivgate youtube...are you able to set up play lsist on your pc and get wdtv to sinc with them??
It's very easy and even supports youtube accounts.  Navigation is good.  Preview images are arranged horizontally, descriptions appearing when highlighted.  Don't see any option for playlists.

2. can you easily create playlists of several music tracks from different albums and play on wdtv
Playlists are supported for music and video (photo?) but I'm not very familiar with the intricacies.  You can't create playlists on the player itself, unfortunately.

3. I was considering an apple tv but came across the wdtv, how does it compare to apple tv?? my main use is music playlists, my photos and videos and accessing youtube videos from my favourite lists.
Not too familiar with Apple TV, but I know you can mod it to run XBMC.  But one noticeable problem with it compared to wdtv is that it won't play H264 codec without hardware decoder bought separately.

4, Some write ups say wdtv live takes ages to be ready from switch on?
I'm guessing it takes about... 20 to 30 seconds to boot if you power cycle it.  That means if you unplug it and plug it in again.  But if you follow normal operation, power on is practically instant.

5. I dont have an ethernet connection available close by...is wireless an option and reliable?
It is an option, but wireless can't be call reliable in any situation.  :P
Compatibility List
Sorry for the long link... can't figure out how to truncate it.

Hope that helps!   8)
Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 03:37:46 PM by wiiBox »

November 19, 2009, 02:11:38 PM
Reply #2

psburley

you say WDTV live supports playlists but cant be created on the unit itself.....but how do you create music playlists?? can you explain how I would set playlists up pls.

November 19, 2009, 04:12:23 PM
Reply #3

wiiBox

you say WDTV live supports playlists but cant be created on the unit itself.....but how do you create music playlists?? can you explain how I would set playlists up pls.
Well, you make a playlist (on your computer) that points to files on local storage and the wdtv live will play them.  You can use one of the many media player programs that support playlist generation, or use something designed specifically for it.  If you are a windows user, it's probably very likely that you already have one of these players.  Otherwise you can search a site like Softpedia for "playlist editor".

It's the same for Network shares, but may take a bit more trial and error to get them to point and/or to get Live to understand where they are pointing.  Someone more experienced with playlist in combination with wdtv live may want to jump in now!

Good luck!

December 18, 2009, 04:41:19 PM
Reply #4

ChrisWhite

Bumping this back up.  I need the same info for video playlist.  Thanks

February 13, 2010, 06:37:24 PM
Reply #5

mrkeb

Has anybody made progress on this problem? I created a video playlist in the Windows 7 playlist, copied it to the external drive attached to WDTV live, opened the playlist using notepad, corrected the paths to point to there actual location of the files on the external drive. WDTV live recognized the playlist but only played the first music video, then stopped. The display remained in the playlist folder but I had to advance it manually to play another clip. Here's the edited notepad script, suggestions welcome:
<?wpl version="1.0"?>
<smil>
    <head>
        <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Windows Media Player -- 12.0.7600.16415"/>
        <meta name="ItemCount" content="0"/>
        <meta name="IsFavorite"/>
        <meta name="ContentPartnerListID"/>
        <meta name="ContentPartnerNameType"/>
        <meta name="ContentPartnerName"/>
        <meta name="Subtitle"/>
        <author/>
        <title>Music Video 1</title>
    </head>
    <body>

January 13, 2011, 05:36:06 AM
Reply #6

Sabrehawk

The units firmware does NOT properly support playlist playback.

It will NOt advance to the next title on the playlist by itself. You will have to do it by hand.

Therefor playlist feature is utterly useless so far.

And btw the question is about YOUTUBE playlists...not local media files. So for YouTube
playlist you make a YOUTUBE account on your computer. You select the titles for your
playlist on the youtube site using your webbrowser, they are saved to your account with a name of the playlist. You login with the box to youtube and you will see the playlist name and can open it,
to find all the titles inside. You can update the playlist from your computer and it will
dynamically change on the box too. The main feature ..autoplayback of list...doesnt
work though.

Custom firmware has the same problem. So no hope for that issue so far.
(and i think that sucks big time..cuz i would really love to have youtube playlist
be automatically played like they should so i can chill with my ambient selection of
music/videos)  And NO ..selecting the first title in the playlist to trigger the autoplay
will NOT work.

WDLXTV firmware is by far supeior to the retail firmware...Its shocking to see how
unpaid devs make a far better job than those who get paid for their work. in that
firmware you can at least use shoutcast live streams so that is some compensation
for playlists not working correctly. Besides of the tons of other features that allow
you to get the most out of your property. Especially the webinterface/remote control
from pc is adorable. And not understandable why WD did not include such in their retail
firmware. It seems they bad down a good product on purpose...this thing could be a killer
box at a killer price if there was some proper firmware official that goes over basic use features.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 05:50:04 AM by Sabrehawk »