Author Topic: ThumbGen - Generate thumbs and moviesheets for WD TV Media Players  (Read 286558 times)

January 22, 2010, 05:01:45 AM
Reply #60

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
Currently you can do that in a semiautomatic mode :D

If you select "Add custom text to the thumbnail" and put first episode number there, then "Choose it for all files in this folder", then check "For each movie file prompt for the watermark text", then "Do it for all movies" you will get prompted just to enter the correct episode number for each file...

It is planned to make this job automatic (where possible, based on some S##E## detection) but I cannot tell u when exactly would that be available. Till then u can use the semiauto mode... it is not so complicated to type number/enter/number/enter...  :P

PS: Next release will have a small improvement in labeling episodes, I'll try to detect automatically the episode number, and user needs just to confirm it (so my joke from above becomes: enter/enter/enter :P). Deeper analysis (season detection and fully automatic labelling) will come a bit later.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 03:44:25 AM by thumbgen »
Get ThumbGen!
If you like ThumbGen then buy me a coffee

January 22, 2010, 08:11:23 AM
Reply #61

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
... the option of adding the episode numbers for all the episodes in one go.
... ability to add the all the episodes # to it would be really helpful

Ok, you'll have it in the next release (this evening). When you uncheck the "Prompt user to confirm text" it goes into automatic mode and instead of your text will write the automatic detected episode number (detects combinations like s1e3, s01.e02, e4, s1 e5, cd1, etc). Important is for you to prepare the location of the text (font, color, etc), the actual text will come from the app.

In the near future I'll add a mask there (as discussed few posts above) so user can do something like: "Season $0S Ep$#E" and will get "Season 1 Ep04"...

In between, a sneak preview of 0.9.8 (no, the Movie Sheet is not generated by ThumbGen  :P)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 08:22:56 AM by thumbgen »
Get ThumbGen!

January 22, 2010, 12:19:05 PM
Reply #62

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
v0.9.8 is ready for tests.

Main highlights:
- possibility to label episodes/CDs automatically (user defines placement and font options and app detects the correct numbers)
- a workaround (undoable) for the users using network shares (to avoid displaying both the thumbnail and the movie) (kudos to kheda for this idea)
- MediaInfo basic integration
- display of wd_tv.jpg (if present) inside Select Folders dialog

Be aware of a bit longer startup time (just first time u start it) as I must download few modules needed by the new features.
Get ThumbGen!

January 23, 2010, 11:14:45 AM
Reply #63

migube

v0.9.7 is live  ;)

Does it make sense to implement inside ThumbGen possibility to import templates from TVixie (it has a very nice and easy templates editor congrats to authors) and generate the required files (for alternative/custom firmwares)?  Personally I do not use them, but if there is enough request... the data is there, I just need to process the template and generate the result. That's it :)

Might be good indeed, but first need those template to work on wdtv live , for wdtv live owners at least :-)
Thanks for the great application !
-----
WdTvLive - LG BD390 - Philips 47PFL8404h - Logitech  Z5400 - DM7000 - Synology 107+
If you developed some application or know about some new WDTVLive app.bin or binary files, please update the Wiki on http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Appz

January 23, 2010, 12:26:44 PM
Reply #64

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
Oh  ;D Shame on me... I had no idea that the templates are not supported on WDTV Live (yet). I didn't check the homebrew/custom firmware area properly (I barely have time to watch 1-2 movies per week  :-[ so I have no interest in customizing my WD too much).

Hmm, honestly I have already a prototype for importing TVixie templates and rendering the result (I have the know-how, no big issues, just downloading the backdrops and the integration in ThumbGen is missing) but there is a show stopper there (a library that costs ~280$ is needed) and I must think about it (I hacked it but I will never release it, ThumbGen must stay legal). TVixie is using that library to offer 100+ effects and so on... if I plan to support the TVixie templates 100% I must use the library and if not, I can do what other apps around here are doing, parse the templates and support a limited basic set of properties of the template. But no hurry, let's see...
Get ThumbGen!

January 23, 2010, 01:09:17 PM
Reply #65

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
... my only complaints about the app are [...] it is kinda slow when grabbing the images

Another thing you can try to really speed it up is to make sure you have some .nfo/.txt file near the movie (same name if more different movies in the folder, or any name if the movie is alone in the folder) having the IMDBId inside (doesn't matter if it is the link or whatever, important is to have the tt[7digits] number inside) and then check "Use IMDBId from .nfo/.txt where possible" (just TheMovieDb.org and cinemagia.ro supports it) and uncheck "Use movie hash where possible".
This last option is used to try to get the IMDBId (where no .nfo file) based on the moviehash (it is a trick that is a bit slower sometimes, but can be very accurate as it does not rely on movie/folder name). Just for fun rename a movie with the name of another movie (be sure u do not have a .nfo pointing to correct movie) and then search it using TheMovieDb.org as collector :D
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 02:18:55 PM by thumbgen »
Get ThumbGen!

January 23, 2010, 02:37:01 PM
Reply #66

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
WTF? jason407 had some post here... asking how episode generation works... now it is gone? Am I drunk?  :D

Anyway, instructions are below:

It works this way:

- supported folder structures: episodes of a season must be in the same folder, episodes filenames must contain episode number in some combination like: S1E12 or S01E5 or S1.E12 or S01 E12 or E12 or S1_E12, CD1, CD2 etc (egal what else is inside the name, I search for these patterns)
- when arriving at the first episode (practically it works even if u do it on the last, but whatever) you prepare your custom text (check the "Add custom text to the thumbnail" checkbox, put some DEMO text (for orientation purposes, will be replaced with episode), finetune position, color, etc)
- you select the thumbnail that you want to be chosen for all episodes
- you press "Choose it for all files in this folder"
- in the confirmation dialog you uncheck the "Ask user to confirm/adjust text for each movie" (letting this there will prompt u for every episode)
- the "Automatic mode.." blue notification should be visible
- press "Do it for all movies"

What is happening now... I take each movie in the folder, I extract the episode number (currently just episode number is supported) and I place it where u had your DEMO text, over the selected image and generate the proper thumbnail

In the near future the feature will be extended as I posted few posts above (as u also suggested earlier) making it more flexible.

HTH
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 04:11:28 AM by thumbgen »
Get ThumbGen!

January 23, 2010, 08:45:34 PM
Reply #67

jason407

You're not drunk...I figured it out like 30 seconds after I made the post, so I deleted it. ;)

I was just missing the DO IT FOR ALL part, so I wasn't seeing the options.

January 24, 2010, 05:41:10 AM
Reply #68

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
This is a sample template generated by my prototype after importing a TVixie template (without any modification of the template):

The full size link is here http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/8637/finalxu.jpg

Would this be ok as final result?

PS: Pls notice that the effects are preserved (cover mirror/glass) but also notice the "Trial" text in the upper-left corner... I can remove it, but that would make ThumbGen illegal... I am not sure if putting my own logo on top of it will keep the rendered image legal... what do u think?

LEdit: Unfortunately I found the answer myself: Distribution restrictions - If you are using a Trial Version, you should not distribute any of the files provided with it.  That means if I implement templates I'll use the "complete" approach just for myself and the public released ThumbGen will skip effects and complex properties, rendering just the basic definition :(
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 07:04:41 AM by thumbgen »
Get ThumbGen!

January 24, 2010, 07:05:12 AM
Reply #69

jeffers

I'm confused.  Can we have templates like this in WDTV Live instead of Thumnails?

January 24, 2010, 07:33:43 AM
Reply #70

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
No, I am just playing and preparing till we'll have that supported in some custom firmware  :)
Get ThumbGen!

January 24, 2010, 10:52:14 AM
Reply #71

wongnog

This program is amazing!  Works really well with my WDTV Live on 1.01.17 firmware.  The one trick I found was I had to power cycle my unit (unplug power cord and plug back in) in order for my WDTV Live to refresh the thumbnails it had already cached.  The latest update you added with the network share "trick" works like a charm.  I have two quick suggestions for you:

1) Could you add amazon.co.uk and possibly amazon.ca as additional sources?  I have some british programming that sometimes doesn't show up in amazon.com
2) Instead of the Aspect Ratio: Ignore option, could you split it into Stretch and Crop?  Another suggestion would be to move the Thumbnail Properties section to just below the thumbnail, and also to change the aspect ratio selection to checkmarks.  But that is purely cosmetic and really not that necessary, just an idea.

It's great to see such dedicated WDTV programmers out there, outperforming what WD has been doing for the community!

January 24, 2010, 11:03:26 AM
Reply #72

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
The latest update you added with the network share "trick" works like a charm.  

Glad you like it and glad you tested the network share trick (I implemented it without testing it on WDTV device).

I have two quick suggestions for you:

1) Could you add amazon.co.uk and possibly amazon.ca as additional sources?  

Done. Available in the next release :)

2) Instead of the Aspect Ratio: Ignore option, could you split it into Stretch and Crop?  Another suggestion would be to move the Thumbnail Properties section to just below the thumbnail, and also to change the aspect ratio selection to checkmarks.  But that is purely cosmetic and really not that necessary, just an idea.

I am not sure I want to do a blind Crop... I am thinking about making the cropper (the sniper tool used to grab screenshots from movies) resizeable, so at that time I can maybe reuse it to let the user Crop the image by himself. But that's for later, I think it is not really necessary now.

Regarding the cosmetic changes, I am very open to any feedback and I collect all your suggestions (initially the Thumbnail Properties were under the thumbnail  :D and I moved them later). Let's see what the others are also reporting and towards version 1.0 we can have a final, easy to use GUI.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:20:52 AM by thumbgen »
Get ThumbGen!

January 24, 2010, 11:58:13 AM
Reply #73

wongnog

One sad thing about the network shares "trick" is it doesn't seem to work if you have too many video files in the same folder.  I'm not sure of the exact number, but the trick works in one of my folder that has only 6 videos in it, however other folders with 11 or more don't show an icon.  I'll have to undo the trick for those folders.  This mostly affects some TV shows where I keep an entire season of episodes in one folder.

Also, is there a way to use this program to generate thumbs for my DVD rips?  When I try and run it, it wants to add a thumb to each of the VOB files in the VIDEO_TS subfolder.  I only want to create a folder.jpg for the main folder. 

edit: okay I think I know how to do this.  Once I find an image I can click on "Use the selected image as folder thumb" and then click "skip current folder".  The only thing is if I have ripped a tv show that comes on several discs, I'd like an easy way to copy the folder.jpg created to the other discs.  I have no problems doing this manually, but maybe there's a way to make ThumbGen determine the next disc automatically?  One suggestion is to add more options to the "prompt for keywords" box that opens up -- I find this dialog box very useful though, I think it should be on by default.  Anyway right now there is only "skip movie", "abort all" and "use movie snapshots".  If you added to here an option for "use previous folder.jpg" and then show an image of the last one created, this would make copying thumbnails across several discs easier.  Or simply a "skip folder" would make things easier.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:07:15 PM by wongnog »

January 24, 2010, 12:20:57 PM
Reply #74

thumbgen

• ThumbGen
One sad thing about the network shares "trick" is it doesn't seem to work if you have too many video files in the same folder.  

Right, the trick works well for single movies per folder (see kheda's explanations on the dedicated topic). Do not forget this is just a workaround and not a bulletproof fix.

Also, is there a way to use this program to generate thumbs for my DVD rips?  

edit: okay I think I know how to do this.  Once I find an image I can click on "Use the selected image as folder thumb" and then click "skip current folder".  

Right, that's how it goes :)

One suggestion is to add more options to the "prompt for keywords" box that opens up -- I find this dialog box very useful though, I think it should be on by default.  

If you select the "Prompt for keywords before every search" (on main page) you will be prompted for every movie.  

Anyway right now there is only "skip movie", "abort all" and "use movie snapshots".  If you added [...] simply a "skip folder" would make things easier.

I agree, I planned since long time to add the "Skip current folder" button to that dialog but I forgot. Thx for reminding me.
Get ThumbGen!