Author Topic: My new WD TV Live does not want to play my .mkv 1080p movie!  (Read 13933 times)

December 27, 2009, 03:46:59 PM
Read 13933 times

Jonas

Hey!

I got a WDTV Live this christmas and it works wonderful until, I try to play a .mkv 1080p movie i downloaded. I am trying to watch it through a media server using Windows Media Player (I think lol) on my Win 7. It says this file format is not supported and i need to read the manual. Watching TV shows and movies in .avi work but this doesnt seem to work  ???

Here's the MediaInfo:

Format                           : Matroska
File size                        : 10.9 GiB
Duration                         : 2h 32mn
Overall bit rate                 : 10.2 Mbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2009-11-18 21:15:03
Writing application              : mkvmerge v2.9.8 ('C'est le bon') built on Aug 13 2009 12:49:06
Writing library                  : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Muxing mode                      : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                         : 8 515 Kbps
Nominal bit rate                 : 8 718 Kbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 800 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 2.40:1
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Resolution                       : 8 bits
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.231
Stream size                      : 9.09 GiB (83%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 79 r1332 70f8869
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=0 / bitrate=8718 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
Language                         : English

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : DTS
Format/Info                      : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID                         : A_DTS
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Resolution                       : 24 bits
Stream size                      : 1.61 GiB (15%)

Text
ID                               : 3
Format                           : UTF-8
Codec ID                         : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info                    : UTF-8 Plain Text

Hope this can be fixed!

Jonas

December 30, 2009, 11:04:46 PM
Reply #1

Karabuyu

i didnt entirely checked all forum but since this is the 1st topic i checked and i have exactly same problem so i m posting my message here,

Yes i have exactly the same problem, Windows Midea server on windows 7 WD TV using LAN and getting the same error message given above,

Updated HD TV firmware and added Mkv files as directory, its thumb. shown in media file directories but cannot run them on network,

I tried to copy 1-2 mkv videos to my USB drive and attached that Usb drive to WD TV's Usb and it works perfectly,

I tried Tversity as media server too while win 7 media server working i think i failed to use it properly so basically i used only win 7 media server,

there is an option in Tversity(maybe in Win 7 too) right click on Mkv file and choose option run this file on "WD TV" (something like that) and it returns either couldnt connected to WD TV or WD TV nor responding type messages,

So either Windows Media Server issue or HD TV network, i m quite noob about these sort of videp technologies to help will be appritiated,

* i have additional issue : cannot connect to My PC's shared drives using Hd Tv's network, doesnt accepts user/pass, network is workgroup, tried network join passes, Pc admin user/pass and creted new one etc etc ...

December 31, 2009, 03:03:11 AM
Reply #2

Karabuyu

My answer to My previous post after a quite forum seach on many web sites (non of it tried by myself yet)

1.) Windows 7 media server is not capable of sharing Mkv files, ppl chooses another media server for that like Tversity and it works (says many ppl)

2.) mkv files can be reached using network share if you are NOT using windows 7 if you are using Windows 7 you should do things shown below to reach PC from WD TV live :

Win7 (and Vista) has some issues broadcasting its availability on a network.
You could try these changes to your Win7 box:-

Firstly, configure Sharing and Discovery:

1. Navigate to the Network and Sharing Center via the Control Panel
      2. Click on the down arrow icons and select ON/OFF as follows:
              Network Discovery - ON
              File Sharing - ON
              Public Folder Sharing - OFF
              Printer Sharing - ON
              Password Protected Sharing - OFF
              Media Sharing - OFF

Next, configure the folder you want to share:

1. Select the folder
      2. Right-click and choose 'Share' from the menu
      3. From the drop-down box select the Everyone (All users in this list) account, making sure permissions are set to 'Reader'
      4. Click the buttons Add, Share and Done.

Here are some further registry 'tweaks' if this doesn't work:

WARNING: This requires editing your PC's registry which, if edited incorrectly, can cause Windows systems to become unstable and unusable. So, follow the instructions below at your own risk. - we are not responsible for any damage caused by following these steps.

1. Navigate to the following location in the registry editor.
              MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\
      2. On the right side, double-click on 'everyoneincludesanonymous' and change the 'Value data' from '0' to '1'
      3. Double-click on 'NoLmHash' and change the 'Value data' from '1' to '0'
      4. Navigate to the following location in the registry editor:
              MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters
      5. Double-click on 'restrictnullsessaccess' and change the 'Value data' from '1' to '0'
      6. Close the registry editor

Finally, restart your PC.

and that supposed to solve invalid user name or password error when u try network sharing with PC running Windows 7

December 31, 2009, 06:31:28 PM
Reply #3

Jonas

Well

The online streaming wasn't going very well so I bought a WD Passport 500GB wich i thought would solve everything, but wait I put the movie wich i was trying to play on it ( DLed movie Inglorious Basterds ) on to the passport and plug it into the player and start the movie. After about a minute or so, it starts to get very laggy and as soon as I try to fast forward or reverse it crashes and says file type not supported.

Really hope i can get this working couse I badly want to be able to watch blu-rays!!!

Jonas

January 11, 2010, 08:16:08 AM
Reply #4

DeeKay

Really hope i can get this working couse I badly want to be able to watch blu-rays!!!

Then sell your WDTV and buy an effing Bluray Player... Jeez!....

January 16, 2010, 05:13:54 AM
Reply #5

Jonas

Not just yet, I got everything working through network shares using a tut I found here and everthing was perfect until... It started giving me incorrect password/username Wtf...

January 16, 2010, 05:58:06 AM
Reply #6

deevus

You can play MKV using Windows Media Player on Windows 7.

Install "DivX Plus HD Video for Windows 7" - http://www.divx.com/en/windows-7

As long as Windows Media Player picks that up as the default codec for H.264 (you may need to uninstall any codec packs first) you will now be able to play MKV on your WDTV Live from WMP.